From Lenny Harper.
I AM in total agreement with Messrs Power, Shenton and Perchard about the need for a rigorous investigation into leaks to the media during the historical abuse inquiry.
Having said that, the demand by Senator Perchard in particular is a bit like the turkey voting for Christmas, as any inquiry would need to include leaks by politicians, and of course I have already publicly claimed that he leaked a confidential police email to David Rose and that the States refused to investigate the matter.
Such an inquiry would also, of course, have to examine the allegations made by the Home Affairs Minister and Mr Kellet in the Scrutiny panel meeting that Mick Gradwell may also have unlawfully leaked confidential information to the same journalist.
Perhaps that is what these three gentlemen are actually talking about? Somehow, I think not. There seems to be collective amnesia around those instances.
I will, of course, co-operate fully with any independent investigation into such leaks. I have nothing to fear – most of my contacts with the media were in the full view of the public and involved what Sir Hugh Orde described the other day as the proper and necessary relationships between the media and senior police officers.
He did this when he made the comments that corrupt police officers leaking information should be jailed and the keys thrown away (the same goes for politicians, of course).
Presumably Mr Shenton has changed his mind on this? It only seems like yesterday that he was criticising me for attempting to bring the small number of corrupt Jersey officers to justice and called it a waste of money.
So I look forward to seeing this investigation and we will find out the truth as to whether a journalist received leaked material from Senator Perchard, what Mr Gradwell did (he has been uncharacteristically silent until now) and, perhaps, what those leaking the information gained from it.
As I said, I have no concerns about such an investigation. Almost all of what I said can be found in easily accessible articles and film online.
I AM in total agreement with Messrs Power, Shenton and Perchard about the need for a rigorous investigation into leaks to the media during the historical abuse inquiry.
Having said that, the demand by Senator Perchard in particular is a bit like the turkey voting for Christmas, as any inquiry would need to include leaks by politicians, and of course I have already publicly claimed that he leaked a confidential police email to David Rose and that the States refused to investigate the matter.
Such an inquiry would also, of course, have to examine the allegations made by the Home Affairs Minister and Mr Kellet in the Scrutiny panel meeting that Mick Gradwell may also have unlawfully leaked confidential information to the same journalist.
Perhaps that is what these three gentlemen are actually talking about? Somehow, I think not. There seems to be collective amnesia around those instances.
I will, of course, co-operate fully with any independent investigation into such leaks. I have nothing to fear – most of my contacts with the media were in the full view of the public and involved what Sir Hugh Orde described the other day as the proper and necessary relationships between the media and senior police officers.
He did this when he made the comments that corrupt police officers leaking information should be jailed and the keys thrown away (the same goes for politicians, of course).
Presumably Mr Shenton has changed his mind on this? It only seems like yesterday that he was criticising me for attempting to bring the small number of corrupt Jersey officers to justice and called it a waste of money.
So I look forward to seeing this investigation and we will find out the truth as to whether a journalist received leaked material from Senator Perchard, what Mr Gradwell did (he has been uncharacteristically silent until now) and, perhaps, what those leaking the information gained from it.
As I said, I have no concerns about such an investigation. Almost all of what I said can be found in easily accessible articles and film online.
