
Leah Ferguson spoke to one victim still so haunted by his experience he wishes to remain anonymous Victims of historic child abuse in Jersey say they are concerned the Abuse Inquiry will be watered-down. The scope of the Inquiry is currently being reviewed by UK Child Protection expert Andrew Williamson. He is in Jersey to make sure the investigation will be a healing process for victims rather than a chance to attribute blame.
One victim told us: "I was stabbed, tortured, abused, sexually abused, almost left for dead." They continued: [I want] Justice - people that have abused people brought to justice and not just brushed under the carpet and forgotten.
We need closure on historical child abuse. "I want to have my say, I want to tell them what happened and try and protect other people, that if something happens to them tell people, not for it to be covered up." Jersey's historic abuse investigation ran from 2007 until 2010, ending in the prosecution of seven carers.
30 others were suspected of abuse going back 70 years, but died before they could be prosecuted. The States have agreed an inquiry is needed, but they have yet to agree the remit of that inquiry.